Gaynor & Vic

Three nights with Vic & Gaynor, We arrived about 17.00 from Castigno.

They had a changeover on the next day, Saturday, and we went to the Lascaux Caves to give them space.

And on the Sunday we went to Jumilhac le Grand with Gaynor. But the "farmers market" had very few stalls - because of the pandemic only half the number of stalls are allowed

The boys got to sit on Uncle Victors's tractor

Click on a thumbnail below to get a larger photograph

       
       
       

 

Lascaux IV

On 12 September 1940, the entrance to the Lascaux Cave was discovered by 18-year-old Marcel Ravidat when his dog, Robot, fell in a hole. Ravidat returned to the scene with three friends, Jacques Marsal, Georges Agnel, and Simon Coencas. They entered the cave through a 15-metre-deep shaft . The teenagers discovered that the cave walls were covered with paintings of animals. They returned along with the Abbé Henri Breuil on 21 September 1940; Breuil would make many sketches of the cave, some of which are used as study material today due to the extreme degradation of many of the paintings. Breuil was accompanied by Denis Peyrony (curator of the Prehistory Museum at Les Eyzies), Jean Bouyssonie and Dr Cheynier.

The cave complex was opened to the public on 14 July 1948, and initial archaeological investigations began a year later, focusing on the Shaft. By 1955, carbon dioxide, heat, humidity, and other contaminants produced by 1,200 visitors per day had visibly damaged the paintings. As air condition deteriorated, fungi and lichen increasingly infested the walls. Consequently, the cave was closed to the public in 1963, the paintings were restored to their original state, and a monitoring system on a daily basis was introduced. Replicas Conservation problems in the original cave have made the creation of replicas more important.

Lascaux II, an exact copy of the Great Hall of the Bulls and the Painted Gallery was displayed at the Grand Palais in Paris, before being displayed from 1983 in the cave's vicinity (about 200 m away from the original cave), a compromise and attempt to present an impression of the paintings' scale and composition for the public without harming the originals. Other facsimiles of Lascaux have also been produced over the years.

Lascaux III is a series of five exact reproductions of the cave art (the Nave and Shaft) that, since 2012, have traveled around the world allowing knowledge of Lascaux to be shared far from the original.

Lascaux IV is a new copy of all the painted areas of the cave that forms part of the International Centre for Parietal Art (Centre International de l'Art Pariétal). Since December 2016 this larger and more accurate replica which integrates digital technology into the display is presented in a new museum built by Snøhetta inside the hill overlooking Montignac.Galleries were given names. Those include the Hall of the Bulls, the Passageway, the Shaft, the Nave, the Apse, and the Chamber of Felines.

We had a guided tour in English. Oddly they hardly mention that you are looking at a reconstruction. Anyway it is a lasar perfect reconstruction of the caves that visitors walk through today. Having walked through the reconstruction (where photography is banned) , we reached an exhibition hall where "exploded" reconstructions were shown of the highlights of the caves. They have done a remarkable job with this place, and it was well worth the visit

Click on a thumbnail below to get a larger photograph

 

Trip to Gaynor & Vic